Sunday, March 2, 2014

Art History

I love seeing my grandchildren doing art just like when their mother was little.  I always encouraged it with her and now them and any future grandchildren!

When I was young, I had an artistic talent. Nana encouragement me when she was visiting but unfortunately, that wasn't often. She lived in England, visits were few and far between.  Her and my Grand-dad would mention how they loved my art in their letters.

Unfortunately, my parents weren't too supportive of my talent.  It was seen as a waste of time--I think they were afraid I would be a "starving artist".  They pushed me to be in the medical field.  It seemed my aunts and uncles were nurses and doctors.  Even my cousins were pursuing it.

I recall in the sixth grade, a neighbor complimented me on my artwork infront of my mother. They were having tea at the time. I had just drawn the Virgin Mary from an Italian artist book.  It was good and for the moment I was beaming.  However, it was short lived.  My Mom quickly corrected the neighbor by saying it wasn't very good and that there are more talented artists than me.

I was CRUSHED!  After that, I did very little with my art until my Senior year in high school in Germany.  The ratio was 4:1 for girls to boys.  It was hard being number 4 so, I maintained my sanity by volunteering to do posters for events, dances (which I never went to), the prom, games, plays and more.  I became a hit overnight!  My posters had animations from Mad Magazine.  I painted them with acrylics and students would steal them as soon as I put them up.  They actually became collector's items!  My brother, Jim (who was in seventh grade at that time) would beam with pride at my celebrity status.

I even did long murals on poster paper that took up the length of our hallway in our apartment to the displeasure of my dad.  He would grumble and became angry since not one boy would even ask me out after all the work I did.  Yes, the guys ignoring me bothered me a little but I lost myself in my art.

I started painting wine bottles--the kind with the big round body.  The paintings were a hit too and I would do them for gifts.  I had no clue on what to charge.  The empty bottles came from the NCO Club where I waitress-ed during the non-alcohol time--Lunch.

One that I gave away was to my High School counselor.  We had to meet with one and determine what we would do for college.  I had told her about my parent's wish to be a medical lab technician to which she asked "What do you want to do?"  No one asked me what I  wanted to do.  That is when I told her that I really loved my art.

I didn't think anything would become of our conversation but the next day, see had my parents in her office with me.  Crap!  I am really going to pay for this, I thought.  The counselor showed them my work and actually convinced my parents to let me pursue my art.  I was shocked!

I put in for a art scholarship at a college in South Dakota and got it!  Why South Dakota? South Dakota had no military bases nearby; I wanted my freedom and my freedom to fail and try again.  In our sessions, it was brought out by my mom that her and dad just wanted to be sure I wouldn't fail.  The likelihood of that happening as an artist was high, a lab technician low.  However, the choice was really mine and if I fail, I would learn and persevere until I either succeed or try something else.

I went to college for two years for art, my parents paid for those two years. The third and fourth years was up to me.  I didn't have the money and couldn't find a job so, I moved back to Georgia, where my Dad was stationed and worked at hamburger joints. Shortly after, he received orders to Ft. Meade, Maryland.  I had my freedom again and moved into an apartment with friends.  I met my first husband in Georgia and lost sight of my art.

I did manage to get my Associate of Arts in Arts & Letters at Clackamas Community College in 1982. I taught Graphic Arts part-time for a couple of years and then the program was dropped.  In 1994, I earned a Bachelors of Science in Business Communication and Management at Concordia University.  Why not art?  Well, as life would have it the BS in Business got me a better paying job as an administrator at the college.  A BA in Art would not even get me near a job.

Art has been my escape through alot--my senior year, college life, and two bad marriages.  It has been a close friend that I really need to spend more time with. I can express myself better through my art than any kind of communication.

Back to my grandchildren....I want them to be encouraged to explore art and alot more. I want them to enjoy art like I do so that when they have their own children, they can share that joy with them and maybe remember Nana's art.

2 comments: