Monday, June 4, 2018

Brain Works

I am consumed with learning about the brain.  A big reason for that is my brother-in-law, Nels.  Today, I took him to a doctor appointment due to recent developments in his behavior and other issues.  Nels has had multiple strokes in the past, as well as, a major car accident that left him in a coma for several days in 1987.

Lately, Nels has had changes in his behavior from a low key personality to frustration and impatience.  He also cannot navigate a shopping cart without hitting something.  So, I decided to make an appointment.  Our doctor asked Nels several questions.  He asked if the counseling was working and Nels' answer was "not really."  He asked about balance and Nels said he was off balance the other day at Thelma's Place (I didn't know this).  Nels said that he is upset that he can't do some of the things he used to do like juggling.  I guess he has several hacky sacks that he used to juggle and can't now.  He also said that since his dental was worked on (back in December), he can't smile like he used to.

My red flags were waving in formation after all that and so was the doctor's!  He ordered a MRI and told me to make an appointment with a neurologist he recommended.  I had him explain what his records show about his brain.  It was in 2014 when his last CAT scan was done.  One of his ventricles (two long thin shaped fluid filled areas in our brains) was enlarged quite a bit.  This means that his brain is shrinking.  His frontal lobe has a large area where it is atrophied which again means shrinkage.

It is interesting and so I spent an hour on-line trying to find out more information.  I came to the conclusion that there is little understandable information out there--most of it goes over my head and I need a medical degree to understand any part of it.  Why don't they make it easier to understand?  However, my Irish stubborness will prevail!  I will find other means of getting my information.

The brain is an amazing organ.  The more I read, the more I believe in Divine creation.  Such a complex organ that does so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment