Unbelievable that my last post two years ago was about depression. In the past years, depression wasn't a recurring visitor. Though there was plenty of times for it to rear it's ugly head and stay. I have had brief encounters but I have learnt to lean on the LORD more and more that now it is second nature. Sure, I may first react with panic but I always end up in His Loving Arms finding a warm comfort there through my storms.
To sum up the last two years: We rescued Nels, Wayne's brother from a bad situation in Utah. He has stroke dementia and some mental disabilities from several strokes and a car accident in 1986 where he was in a coma for several weeks. It has been an interesting adjustment for us with it's challenges. I keep in mind a scripture a friend of mine gave me who is taking care of her husband suffering from dementia; "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for Me." Matthew 25:40, 45.
I almost lost my mom twice. Once due to uterus cancer and second to c-diff and diverticulitis a year apart. It was a very difficult thing to see my mom this way. But the LORD restored her health for more time here on Earth with us and I am very grateful. He showed me compassion and a strength I didn't know I had during those times. Part if me wanted to hold on to her and another part knew I had to let her go. I am thankful that God gave me more time with her.
I have fulfilled my goal that I had when I first went to college--teach art to children. Funny, life got in the way but in retirement, I do what I wanted all along. I pursued an art degree at first but had to abandon that dream. But God is Good! In my retirement, I volunteer teach art literacy at the school my grandkids attend. I love it!! I usually teach Grace's class and the Kindergarteners. I also help out Grace's teacher with the advanced readers as well as the ones who are struggling with their reading.
I love being a part of my grandkids' day at school. They will grow up and soon not want to be around me--I hope I am wrong. It is my prayer that they will always let me be a good part of their lives, but time will tell.
Why the sudden interest in doing this blog? Last week, I began bringing Nels to Thelma's Place--a place for those with memory problems, dementia and Alzheimer's. A respite for Wayne and me and some place for Nels to socialize and have a safe place to do so.
Nels and I went for lunch and a little while last Friday to check out the place. We sat with the clients and participated in their morning schedule. I went around the room and shook hands, telling each one my name. Everyone had a name tag with the state that they originally came from. I sat next to Phyllis who came from North Dakota. She sat with a large book on her lap. I remarked that I lived in South Dakota. She said, "Yes, I remember meeting you then." I never met her. Phyllis stroked her book and kept saying, "I have to get this back to him." She had baby dolls next to her and so did a couple of other women.
We sang songs and exercised from our seats. Some of the folks were into doing it and some just smiled. Different stages of dementia. Real people with memories captive somewhere unreachable. Making a memory in the moment to release it into a fog never to be found again. So sad.
So, I am doing this blog because I fear dementia. I fear what they live every day. My great uncle had Alzheimer's and my favorite aunt had dementia. I may never get dementia but if I do, I want to have my memories documented so that when I can't remember they will be here. If my loved ones want to read about them, they are here.
On the day I brought Nels for his first visit, I was talking to Gayle (who has her mom there) in-front of the entrance when I saw Larry coming up the way. Larry was a board member a the college who I had to face several ties to present my proposals and bid recommendations. He would hold my feet to the fire to make sure that I had the best interests of the college and students at heart. He taught me a lot and I truly respected him. After he left the college, he would put together a BBQ at Aurora Airport for the pilots and those working at his daughters business-MII where Wayne worked.
That was three years ago. I called his name, Larry Wright! He looked up and said he didn't know me. I tried to explain about him being a board member but he looked confused. Larry has dementia and is deteriorating fast. I drove away, tears in my eyes. LORD please don't let me get dementia. Not for my sake but for my loved ones and those who know me.
Time is precious, make your memories ones others will treasure beyond today.
No comments:
Post a Comment