Yesterday, Grace asked me if we could have a "tea party"--just her and me. I was delighted that she asked. So, today, I picked her up at her house and we went to Fred Meyers to get "special treats" for our tea. She picked out a couple of shortbread cookies.
I took out a tablecloth that my Mom gave me that was my Nana's and ironed it for our tea. I found the two tea cups that Nana gave me the last time I saw her and put them on the table along with the grown up tea set with plates that I bought when Grace was born. I totally forgot about the set. I put it in my china cabinet with my collection of all sorts of items.
We boiled the water--no microwave for real British tea! I spoke in the British accent and Grace mimicked me. I tried not to laugh. Our tea was prepared and we sat down and sipped. My mind went back to many times I had tea with my Nana. I used to put 7 sugar cubes in my tea! I didn't have the sugar cubes this time but next time I will. Now, I have memories of tea with my granddaughter to add.
I told Grace that when I go to Heaven that this will be her tea set to have with my great-grandchildren. She beamed and said that I have to have tea with them before I go to Heaven. Love that child!
Grace and I decided that we have to do this once a month and maybe have Hunter have tea with us. I had tea with Hunter when he was 3 and he loved it. He is at Cub Scout Camp until this afternoon so, it is just two for tea!


No comments:
Post a Comment