Monday, April 25, 2016

Janice

I've decided to not try to revisit the past months for my blog but to continue on.

Today, we visited Janice.  I love Janice.  She is one of my bowlers.  I don't know her age but I can guess she is in her late sixties.  She is very obese but that never stops her from bowling or driving until this Christmas.  She suffered three heart attacks and ended up in a rehabilitation center where she is now.

A couple of days ago, her husband, Eugene (another one of my bowlers) called me to let me know that Janice wasn't doing well.  I felt guilty not visiting her since she first went in.  Life got busy and then I went through this surgery.  Nonetheless, I knew I had to go today and see her.  I'm glad we did. She looked bad--she was confined to a bed and I noticed that she gained even more weight.  Her hair was thinning out and her gout affected her hands.

I brought some roses for her which she liked. We talked and I couldn't help but think this might be the last time we do.  She told me that she was supposed to move to a bigger room but since they still need to watch her, she is still in this room.

I think back at better times when Wayne would flirt with her and she would laugh and beam.  As we were leaving, I hugged her and then Wayne said "Goodbye"....but she wouldn't have none of it.  Janice insisted that he come over to her and give her a big hug--she was laughing the whole time and had that gleam in her eye.  If the Good Lord takes her soon, I want to remember her just like this with that gleam and that laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment