I had just picked up the kids from school when I stopped at an intersection and right across from me in the crosswalk was Rose. Rose is a cute little old lady who wears a red hat and some frumpy outfits--who we came across years ago. We saw her first at the restaurant in town. She was in a booth by herself eating her soup and sipping coffee. Suddenly, she burst out loudly some profanity. Others were shocked but Wayne and I not so. A couple of our athletes have the same disorder. It is uncontrollable and one should not be offended. We weren't. We asked about her to the waitress. She told us that she was named Rose and is a regular.
So, we paid her bill without her knowing and did so every time we happened to be eating at the same restaurant as Rose. We loved it. Our hearts would warm when we saw her around town and we would say, "That's our Rose!"
Today Rose was in the crosswalk and for a moment, it appeared that she was disorientated. I watched and was thinking of how I could come to the rescue with the grandkids in tow. Fortunately, she redirected herself and went to the other side without any problem.
Grace asked who she was and I told her brother and her about Rose. I explained that Rose's brain doesn't work like ours but that doesn't mean that she isn't important. She just has a difficult time. Somehow we got on the topic of old people and their memory. I asked if I had problems with my memory and my brain wasn't working good would they still love me? Without hesitating the both of them said, "Yes, we will always love you, Nana!"
I told them that when I am really old, it might be hard on mom to take care of me then I would have to go into a home. Grace asked if that cost money and she was appalled that it did. In her opinion, old people shouldn't have to pay for someone taking care of them, it should be free.
Interesting conversations happen a lot in my car transporting the grandkids to day care. Love their inquisive minds. I hope that they will have compassion to those individuals like Rose in the future because of our conversion today.
No comments:
Post a Comment