I have paraphrased it below:
"It gave me a thrill to see them," he told me, "They are clean and smart, it made you feel proud of them."
Mr. Bibby served as a territorial with the 4th Battalion of the King's Own Regiment for 11 years before the outbreak of the 1939-45 War and in 1939 he was immediately called up and left his job as a laborer in the shipyard in Barrow.
He became a sergeant in 223 Battery of the 56th (King's Own ) Anti-Tank Regiment(RA) and was captured by the Germans during the fierce battles leading up to Dunkirk.
Initially his wife, Mary (my Nana) was told that he was missing believed killed (I can only imagine what my mom, her sisters and my Nana went through with that news), but later was told the he was a prisoner of war.
![]() |
| My Grand-dad is sitting on the chair. This is him in the Stalag. |
I have several editions of the paper with my Grand-dad's story and on the top of the first copy is handwritten by my Nana a note that says: "Dena, I hope you will keep these in memory of Grand-dad. Put them in a scrapbook for Alison to read when she is older."
I loved my "Gang-Gang"....that was what I called him until I turned 12 when he asked me to no longer call him that--my heart broke that day. He always had a twinkle in his British blue eyes. I can see that in my grand-daughter, Grace's eyes. I love it when she smiles and reminds me of him.
Today, I was going through things and came across a letter written by Grand-dad to his family while he was in the Stalag. Amazingly, they allowed correspondence. On one side was his letter, on the other a poem to the boys in the field, titled "Courage".
Here it is below:
Courage
by Sgt. Jim Bibby
It is easy to be nice boys when everything is okay.
It is easy to be cheerful when youre having things youre away
But when you hold your head up and take it on your chin
When youre heart is nearly breaking and you feel like giving in
It was easy back in England amongst the Friends and Folks
But now you miss the friendly hand the joys the jokes and songs
The road ahead is stony and unless youre strong in mind
You'll find out long before you youre lagging far behind
You'll find out long before you youre lagging far behind
You have got to climb the hill boys its no use turning back
There is only one way home boys and that is on the beaten track
Remember you are British and that when you reach the crest
You'll see a valley and green Dear England at its best
You know there is a saying that Sunshine follows rain
and sure enough you'll realise that joy will follow Pain
Let courage be your Password make fortitude be your guide
And then instead of grousing just remember them who died.
They died to earn youre freedom, Twas not too great a price
If only you are worthy of so great a sacrifice
They bore their cross in silence they sought not wealth or fame
And you must try to emulate and glorify their name
dated 10th September 1940



No comments:
Post a Comment