Saturday, March 28, 2015

"That Other Man"

The other day Hunter and I were discussing family.  Family is the world to this little man and I am happy to be a part of it.  We talked about how when I married "Gramps", he (Gramps) became a part of our family.  How happy I am since then. 

Hunter also brought up my ex-husband, Gary and asked why I divorced him.  I kept it simple but stating that we didn't get along very well married and we get along better now as friends.  We are both happy now as grandparents and friends. Hunter stated that Grandpa Gary is a part of our family now and I totally agreed.

Yes, Gary and I get along better--even Wayne and he are good friends.  It worked out but it took time and some effort.  

Hunter then approached the subject of my first husband, Dan.  "So, Nana--what happened with that 'other man' ".  Oh, LORD, give me the right words.  I ended up being truthful with my grandson.  Hunter has the understanding of a teenager.

I explained that "the other man" was mean to me and his MaMa.  I had to divorce him since I was afraid.  Hunter thought about that awhile.  "Do you know where he is." "No, I don't Hunter."  "Good--he isn't part of our family--right?"  "No, Hunter, he isn't."  End discussion--for now.

I hope and pray I never see Dan again.  I still have nightmares of him beating me and almost hitting Alison when she was a baby.  The nights of him coming home drunk and getting violent haunt me.

Ok, I haven't been the best on picking men in my past.  However, I wasn't looking when the LORD had Wayne and I meet.  It took four years before I was convinced but it is one of the best decisions that I have made.




No comments:

Post a Comment