Saturday, April 25, 2015

My Labor of Love


These are pillow case dresses--10 so far.  I am making these for Operation Christmas Child.  My goal is to make 100 dresses by November. The original idea was to crochet hats...well, I found out that crochet and I are not compatible. Even after a lot of practice, it was not meant to be.

I was on Pinterest getting ideas for shoeboxes when I came across pillow case dresses. Annie gave me some pillow cases and sheets.  I bought some fabric on sale with discounts on top of that and started sewing.  I have an assembly line process doing 10 at a time.

I used two sets of directions to get the dress I wanted.  Garage sales so far haven't yielded any fabric or pillow cases/sheets yet but I still look.  I use bias tape for the ties and to line the arm openings.   A strip of fabric on the bottom of the dress really helps to brighten it up.

I can pick up the bias tape on sale but that is the major expense so far.  I dread doing my own; I am not good at doing it.  I picked up some pillow cases at Kohls which were majorly discounted.

On Face Book I asked for anyone who has fabric scraps, bias tape or ribbon to contact me...no one has.  No problem, I will still pursue my goal.

I have enough material to finish 35 dresses for now which includes the 10 I have already done.  Hopefully when I get to #35 I find some one who has a fabric stash that they want to donate.

Our house is in the finishing stage of siding.  Unfortunately, the contractor didn't calculate our odd garage opening when putting on the weather stripping.  When the door came down it was okay but when it went up it got stuck on the stripping and buckled.  Now we have to buy a new garage door and door opener.  Total cost: $1700, not what I wanted to hear.  We are negotiating with the contractor. They already said that they would not pay for the door--I'm just praying that they pay for half at least.  We'll see.

Not what we needed before we fly to Hawaii.  The money will be tight now.  The trip is paid for already.  I have the siding covered. Not the garage door.  I hate surprises!  So, I am trusting Him that everything will work out.

What has this got to do with the dresses?  Until the door is paid for, my sewing will be put on hold after dress #35.  Hopefully, that break won't be long. I do enjoy sewing these dresses knowing that they are going to little girls who need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment