Saturday, May 9, 2015

Nathan and the Cupcake

Nellie reads to Gramps
On Wednesdays, Wayne volunteers all day at two Kindergartens.  He is so patient with the kids teaching them to read and loves doing it.  His birthday was on May 5th and I thought it would be cool to bring cupcakes to the afternoon class to celebrate it.  It was all a secret but Grace knew and she helped me order the cupcakes and pick out small toys to put on the cupcakes.
One of the kids in her class, Nathan, can only have gluten-free.  Grace told me that he usually doesn't get a cupcake, no one remembers that he can't have a regular cupcake.  Well, that wasn't going to happen at this celebration!  So, I went on the wild gluten free cupcake hunt.  I went to Fred Meyers and Thriftway and neither had them.  I was told at Thriftway that I would have to go to The White Rabbit in Aurora to get one. 

On Tuesday, I thought I'd call Safeway--they had them!  Four in a pack unfrosted. Grace frosted the cupcake and added sprinkles show it looked like the other cupcakes.  She placed a little red dinosaur on top--it was perfect!


Nathan with his Whale Art
When I walked down the hall to the class room to deliver the cupcakes, Nathan was in the hall en route to the bathroom.  He saw me and the box of cupcakes.  I stopped and he asked about them.  I told him that it is Gramps' birthday and we are going to celebrate.

Nathan looked down with a frown and said, "I can't have a cupcake, I can't have the stuff it's made of."  I smiled and showed him the one cupcake that had a red dinosaur on it. "See that one?" I said, "That one is gluten free and it is yours."  His reaction was priceless!  He beamed a big smile and exclaimed, "I CAN have it, thank you!!!"  He was so excited. 

Grace and I handed out cupcakes with Nathan's first.  He was so happy--it made my day!



No comments:

Post a Comment