First thing yesterday we had to drop Hunter off at school and Grace at Alison's work. We had an early appointment with our lawyer. Mega stress times! My rosacea is out in swing and I can say it is aggravated by the stress.
After an hour of conferring with her about the deposition that we have on Monday, we both were in need of "Grandparent Therapy"! Grace's big smile chases away the fears and Hunter's hugs are the icing on top!
It was a special day for Hunter and we were not going to let our stress over legal matters ruin it. After school, Hunter and Grace were invited over to Hunter's best friend, Logan's, house for pizza and play. Hunter always saw Logan on Fridays at day care but a couple of weeks ago, Annie and I switched days--Friday for Monday. We have the kids on Friday. Stacey, Logan's mom, suggested getting the kids together.
Both Hunter and Grace have reacted to their parents' separation. I commend Alison for keeping everything as normal as possible and not discussing things infront of the kids. As grandparents, both sides, we respect that and do the same. But no matter how we try, they know and sometimes those emotions that they have bubble to the top. We hug them, love them and just hold onto them and reassure them things will be ok. But sometimes they need a little more that only a best friend can provide.
Grace didn't want to go to Logan's and I didn't push it. So, Hunter and I went and waited at their house. While we were waiting we talked a little. Hunter said that he was sad that his sister didn't want to be friends with his best friend's sisters, Morgan and Isabelle. True, she is standoffish when it comes to making "girl" friends. Now guys, she is better with only if they are Hunter's friends though.
When their car came around the corner, Hunter jumped up and down and was so excited, "They are here!!!" he kept repeating. In the car, Logan was doing the same. The two hugged for the longest time. Hunter barely gave me a goodbye. He was the happiest I've seen him in awhile!
I was going to go to Oregon City to shop when I realized that I needed some cash, so, I went home. Grace said she wanted to go. I thought shopping but she said that she wanted to be with Hunter and Logan.
So, I took her to Logan's and the first thing she did was hug Hunter and Logan. The girls was so elated that Grace came.
At 3pm, I texted to see how they were doing. Stacey said that they are having a blast and have happy faces on all of them! When I came to pick them up, Grace was with the girls doing crafts. She was quite happy. Logan came out of the room where Hunter hid from me to ask for more time.
Stacey was so happy that they all played so well together and we both agreed to do this more often. On the way back to my house, I asked if they want to do this again. The first voice and the loudest too was Grace though her brother was a close second. Both of them were in the best of moods when we got home.
The power of friendship, you can't beat it for lifting spirits!
No comments:
Post a Comment