Monday, February 17, 2014

Computer Nightmare on Pine Street

OK, it was to be a day that I can just kick back and install a new video card and router on my computer.  I figured it wouldn't be that complex and shouldn't take too long...but boy, was I ever wrong on that!

My video card was four years old and Hunter's Train Tycoon 3 was killing it more each day.  Plus the day before, my router decided it was only going to handle one thing at a time.  OK, so I have one Kindle tablet, one Samsung tablet, three TVs with Roku on each one, three computers, and two network printers when the poor thing was only supposed to handle a total of three items.

Sigh, so we headed out to Frys to pick up both items.  I paid and left but had a bad feeling.  Checking my purse my bad feeling got worse.  My debit card was gone.  Fortunately, we didn't leave the parking lot yet and I hobbled (still can't run) back to get it.  After giving a bundle of identification to prove I was me, I got it back.

Saturday was my day to concentrate on installation of these two items plus one more minor installation (or so I thought).  Wayne installed the video card into the CPU case and I did the software end--I did this flawlessly on his computer.  Usually there is no problem but today was different.  I won't go into all the issues I had but I had tried several options to get this critter going. Yes, I am computer savvy--but just enough to be dangerous!

After a couple of hours and at wits end, I called to talk to Larry--they weren't answering so, I called my back up technician, Bill, across the street.  Hunter's friend Issac's dad.  We help them out with sitting and other things and he helps on computer problems that I can't handle.

Bill came over and had it going after a couple of troubleshooting solutions that I didn't know about--it is nice to learn something out of this venture.

He left and I started to set up my router. Well, two hours later, four York Peppermint Patties later and I was fit to be tied, so, I called Bill back.  He worked at it for an hour and ended up taking it back to his house to reset the router.  I found out it takes two people to reset this router (yes, I tried it on it but it didn't work, I needed one more person).

Router going, network setup, and I started on my WiFi digital scale.  I bought it a week ago and kept putting it off.  So, forty five minutes into this setup, I found my operator technical error--I had to set it up on a laptop.  After noting that, I got it done in ten minutes.  Works great!

After all this, I had a mega migraine!  Oh well, it is all done until the next thing that needs replacing.  I see a Costco box of chocolate in my future before shopping for the computer part....and maybe a wee bit of wine ...heck, I'll just call Bill and commit to a couple hours of free babysitting!  Less calories and headaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment