Friday, December 19, 2014

You don’t know what you got until it isn't there!

This morning I biked to the club where I work out.  It was a crisp dry morning and it felt great!  You don’t know what you got until it is taken away is so true! October 17 this year, I had partial knee replacement surgery. 
Nasty!

Six weeks of physical therapy got my knee back to a full range of motion.  However, during those weeks, it was so discouraging not being able to walk much, swim or bike.  In the second week, I managed to ride the bike in the gym, not my bike until a couple of days later. I was so excited and of course, I overdid.  It is so easy to do since I feel so much better but the knee wasn't quite there.
First Day Back On My Bike!

My first “long” walk (about one mile) felt fantastic!  The pain that I had in my knee for many years was gone!  I was a little sore due to post surgery.  But, it felt so good to be mobile again!

Swimming wouldn’t happen until my wound healed.  It did so at week five.  My physical therapy and healing was quick and amazed both my PT and surgeon…and most of all—me!

I love swimming! My knee instructed me which strokes are okay and those that are not on my first swim.  I planned on doing 500 yards and 15 minutes.  Key word here is “planned”.  I ended up with 1100 yards in 35 minutes at just under a minute a lap (slower than my normal half a minute). Yes, I hurt but I was so happy to finally get back into the pool. 


I praise Him for the healing He has done; and most of all of giving me a deeper appreciation of being mobile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment