Sunday, December 14, 2014

Melissa

I had been thinking about starting my blog again but time got away.  Now, it's almost midnight and I can't sleep.


On Saturday, December 13, my daughter by marriage (step daughter), Melissa, passed away.  Though we haven't been in touch much over the past years, I am grateful that we did become since she was diagnosed with cancer in October.  I regret that I didn't connect with her years ago.

She was spunky and always seemed to have a smile on her face.  I wanted to travel down to California to see her but physically it would have been painful for me to do with my knee surgery recovery.  

Both Alison and Gary, my ex-husband told me that it was best that I don't see her and remember her in her condition.  I will remember her as she was in this photo. Her mom told me that she was a believer in Christ which brings me great comfort. 

Alison and Gary were able to fly down to California Saturday morning to be with her in her final moments.  
Matthew 5:4 says, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." And I learned that day what that truly means.
Wayne and I took care of our grandchildren while Alison was gone and had just heard the news when we were returning from taking them to Discovery Village in Salem.  Minutes after we got back to the house, a friend of mine, Jackie, came by and dropped off a card for us.  
I am so amazed at the LORD's timing and His provision.  In the card was a beautiful cross ornament and The Daily Bread booklet.  A gentle reminder that He has Melissa in His arms and I can take comfort in that.  It is hanging on the wall above my computer monitor to remind me of His love for Melissa as well as me. I look at it often lately and feel His love.
Later, I opened up the booklet and thought that I went to today’s devotion.  It actually was January 13.  The opposite side of the book, January 12 would have been Melissa’s 43rd birthday.  
The devotion started: “Over the past dozen years since I lost my daughter, many others who have experienced the loss of a loved one have shared with me heartbreaking sentiments…” It ended: “Despair is real in this life, and answers do not come easily. Yet in the darkness—as we remember God’s glory, majesty, power, and love—our despair can slowly subside.”
His Comfort and Love covers my grief and I am humbled once again.  I will miss Melissa but I know we will meet again.  In the mean time, I will remember God’s glory, majesty, power, and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment