Sickingenstraße 16, Heidelberg, Germany--that is where I lived in my senior year of school. Found it on GoogleEarth!
![]() |
| I lived in the building to the right on the third floor. |
I found my high school. We had Kindergarten through 12th grade in those two buildings connected by a sky way. Amazing to see it now. In 2013, the base went back to the Germans. My dad used to work at the 130th Station Hospital in Heidelberg. The same hospital where General Patton died on December 21, 1945. I found it odd that both dad and the General had the same birthdate--December 21.
![]() |
| Heidelberg American High School-My Ala Mater |
Dad was the CSM of the hospital and proud of it too. I used to work at the NCO snack bar right across from the hospital. Everyone knew me as his daughter. I either got good tips or guys walking out leaving me with the bill. I learned a lot about character in that summer. Most of the time I broke even.
In Heidelberg, we walked to school every morning and back in the evening. It was okay, just a way of life that I got used to and loved in Augsburg. The movies where in the base cafeteria with the most uncomfortable metal chairs.
Heidelberg had an army bus that took us out to a teen club of sorts--I hated it but I went with hopes of having a good time. Before getting onto the bus, my friends and I would go to the Gasthouse and drink. Since there were 5 girls to 1 guy, the chances of me getting a dance where slim to none. I went because Mom said it would be fun and I could meet someone. Mom was the belle of the ball in her time--I was not.
![]() |
| 130th Station Hospital |
I hated Heidelberg since we just moved from Augsburg, Germany. I don't remember my address there. I loved Augsburg--I had friends and guys actually wanted to be seen dancing with me. I became sociable and loved it.
When dad got orders to Heidelberg, I tried to stay with one of my friends and commute to Heidelberg on weekends--my parents wouldn't approve it. So, at Heidelberg, I lost myself in my art and distance myself from everyone.
Dad used to get so mad when he saw me paint murals for the dances that no one asked me to go to. I did endless posters for all the events and never went to any. My posters and murals were hot items--they came off the wall as soon as they were posted. I took pride in that--it made up for the lack of socializing a little bit.
It is amazing that you can find these addresses up close. Brings back memories. Good or bad, they are part of my life.




No comments:
Post a Comment