I have been having some weird dreams for awhile....mostly due to the medication I am taking. Once in awhile, I have one that makes some sense. And being analytically inclined, this is something I enjoy--analyzing dreams.
My dream takes place in Fort Benning, Georgia where I lived with my family when I was in grade school. Dad worked on base. We lived in row type houses just off the base. There were about four or five in the complex we lived in. We each had a very small back yard and our portion was a cement porch, a shed and small very small patches of soil next to the unit. Dad would plant tomato plants-four at the most because of the space.
Beyond our little space there was a narrow space that was a common area for all the neighbors to wander and be responsible for mowing and watering. On the edge of that was a hill with a wooded and swampy area where my brother and I would have many adventures. I had alot of great childhood memories when we lived in Fort Benning.
Back to the dream. I was there again and in the backyard. However, I had transformed that small area into a space full of several budding perennials in pots and and in the ground. There were two trees, an apple and a pear full of fruit. There were so many plants and the space was full and growing. It wasn't the small space it had been. My mom was there and was telling me that all this work was pointless since we wouldn't be living there long--since it was the usual temporary Army family home.
I smiled and looked at the patch of grass just behind our place contemplating putting more garden there. Neighbors used the lawn strip to stop by to enjoy the garden that I had made.
The lesson of the dream? Where we live in that moment may not be our choice but what we will do in that time is. You can fill that moment with special beautiful memories that you eventually share with family and friends.....even neighbors. Even though that moment may be temporary, it can find a permanent home in your memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment