Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pre-Surgery Jitters

Monday, I have surgery. It is a simple day surgery but it will require anesthesiology.  The surgery I am okay with, the going into blackness, not!

The last time I went into surgery, it was for a hysterectomy.  I was so stressed about going under that they gave me something to calm down before surgery in the room.  Worked wonderfully--I was out before the anesthesiologist put me under!

I hate that blackness when you finally succumb to the anesthesia. When I was little, like others, I was afraid of the dark...can it be that fear surfacing.  The waking up I am fine with and if I don't wake up, I know I will be home with my LORD.

When I was coming to from the last surgery, I was half awake and noticed lockers next to me.  Seems I was rolled into some holding room that had them.  I heard voices say, "The president's been shot!"  The nurse adjusting my IV gave me a puzzled look when I said, "No, he can't be, the Seniors just saw him in here in San Antonio!"

When all my senses came back, I found out it was President Ronald Reagan that got shot.  As for me, my conscience went back to when President Kennedy got shot.  I lived in San Antonio and the day he was shot, our Seniors had just got back from seeing him speak downtown.  I was standing in front of my school locker getting my books for my Spanish class.

I sat in that class on the second floor of our school and watched the US flag slowly go to half mast.

Back to present day.... I was doing my Bible Study and in the midst of the Psalm 119, one verse stood out:
"May Your unfailing love be my comfort, according to Your promise to Your servant." Psalm 119:76

His unfailing love will be my comfort Monday in that black hole of anesthesia knowing that I am not alone even in the darkness, He will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment