Today I received my first Christmas gift. These are the best since they are not wrapped
and you can’t buy them! They are wrapped in love and made to last a lifetime.
This morning Hunter and Grace came over before school. I
haven’t seen much of them due to my operation.
I was telling Hunter about his sing-a-thon he was having that morning at
school. He didn’t appear too happy about
it but Alison explained that he didn’t know anything about it. Opps, guess I
shouldn’t have said anything. When she left, he said he didn’t know the
songs. I told him that I just hum when I
don’t know the words, it will be fine—we will be the ones humming. He was still apprehensive about the whole
thing.
I decided to ride with Hunter and Grace to school. I felt like a sardine, a stiff one at that
navigating into the passenger side of the Subaru. That is where I stayed until we got out at
Hunter’s school for his sing-a-long.
I hobbled into the gym and we waited for the kids to come
in. Hunter came in and didn’t see
us. It wasn’t until later just before the
choir sang that he saw us, smiled and waved.
The high school choir sang “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” “Away
in A Manger” and more Christ centered songs.
It was heartwarming to hear these songs in a nation were one hears less
and less. At the end of the program, the
principal wished all of us a Merry Christmas—how refreshing!
After the choir sang and left, a big screen was put on the
wall showing the words to the songs that all the kids were to sing. Hunter perked up and starting reading and
singing along with a big smile on his face!
He even had hand motions with each song.
He was dancing in his seat too! I
was watching and my heart warmed with my first Christmas gift---His smile, his
joy, and his singing.
I loved watching
him beaming seated in his class row on the bleachers. My pride and love overflowed for my little
guy. He has grown up so much! And my love for him has grown more and more
but now it is different. It is deep and respectful of his “space” and how he is
maturing but still flexible for those moments when he wants to be just hugged
and drift back to his toddler years for a Nana love. They aren’t many those
moments but that is okay, he is growing and I will always be there for him.
Although I have a sore knee, I am so grateful that the LORD
allowed me to be at his sing-a-long and receive this gift that I will treasure
forever!
No comments:
Post a Comment