Monday, July 23, 2012

Finishing Debbie's Rug

I don't believe in coincidences.  Friday, we took the kids to the Berry Farms.  It was great drinking smoothies and having blueberry cobbler!  I bought my berries and three additional boxes for a couple who love Gingerich Farms berries but financially couldn't afford it.  A small random act of kindness which the Lord later blessed me for--read on.

I got home and saw that another friend of mine, Carolyn, had left me a message about a John Wayne collectible plate that she saw at a garage sale. Wayne loves John Wayne and so she knew that I would be really interested.  She was trying to tell me where the sale was when I realized it was the Weigand's house.  Debbie passed away months ago--we used to be the best of friends until my divorce.  Long story short, we lost touch but once in awhile I would run into her.  We'd say that we need to get together, both knowing that that would not be possible.  I was a divorced woman and that was the ultimate sin according to the Baptists. Now I realize that the Lord has forgiven me and loves me.  I have forgiven me and anyone who has an issue with it, I ask them to pray about it.  My Lord is big enough and loving enough that He has not loved me less because of a divorce.

Enough of that.  For the past month I have been looking for wool to do a rag rug for my house.  I remember the gorgeous ones that Edna made.  I bought a book  a year ago--I have to warm up to these kind of projects.  So lately I have had the bug to get going on it.

I went to the garage sale hoping to talk to Lee but it was not meant to be.  I talked awhile with Debbie's dad sharing memories of a wonderful loving friend.  I found the plate, held onto it and browsed around.  Lord, I wanted a small memento of my friend and was hoping to find something.  I almost gave up when I sighted a box. It was full of wool and marked "Wool for Rag Rugs".  I was amazed and asked Debbie's sister if Debbie was into making rugs which she affirmed.  I noticed that some of the wool had been torn as if she had started the project.  I was so delighted to find wool at last!

I don't believe in coincidences.  I bought the box of wool and the plate, I brought exactly $16 and spent exactly $16!  As I walked out to the car, I could see Deb's warm smile from heaven.   I would finish her rug and it will warm my house reminding me of a friendship that I truly miss.

Today, I tore the wool into strips, sorted the colors, and rolled them into rolls.  Everything is organized--I am sure Debbie would approve.  I don't know what she had in mind for design but I am willing to listen to any guidance that she can give.

1 comment:

  1. :) after you make your rug you can do mine next! always wanted one since i grew up seeing edna's and watching her make them.

    ReplyDelete