Today is the 4th of July. Our nation’s birthday! I am still proud to be an American and pray
for healing for our country. The
Founding Fathers never intended for our government to take over most of our
life. I still believe in American
Exceptionalism. I know that He will heal
this land and bless it once again.
When my Mom married my dad, she was British. She came over to the States and fell in love
with America. When we were in Arkansas,
my dad went to Korea for 13 months. During
that time, Mom decided to become an American citizen. It was her choice, no one forced her to do
it. She studied hard every day and
night. My brother and I would take turns
quizzing her for her citizenship test. I
must admit that there was a lot of history that she had to learn and it wasn’t
easy. But she was determined and passed
her test!
I can’t remember the exact day and year we went to the
courthouse in Ft. Smith, Arkansas to see her sworn in as an American
citizen. I stood there in the courtroom with
my brother and was so proud of Mom—she did it!
The US flag was up front and all of the new citizens were standing and
saying the Pledge of Allegiance. You
could tell this was a very big moment in their lives-some were in tears, others
beaming with smiles.
If only all Americans would possess what it means to be
American like those who stood there that day!
The Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence knowing that
they were committing treason, death and loss of property to be the result. Yet, they signed it. They wanted freedom for them and for
generations to come.
As Reagan said, “We
are one generation from losing our freedom.”
Let’s not be that generation or raise a generation who will lose that
treasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment