Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Weight Lifting

This morning I went and worked out.  It has been a full week since I lifted weights and it felt good to be able to devote the time to it.  I have been weightlifting since I was 20.  I used to be a lifetime member of European Health Spa.  I paid $16 a month for two years for that membership and it served me many years well until Nelson’s Nautilus took it over.  I wished that I started when I was a teenager—maybe my self confidence level would have been better.

I wasn’t born with a body to die for—and I probably will never have that kind of body.  I inherited Dad’s broad shoulders and lousy posture—thanks, Dad.  From Mom’s side, I inherited the “Bibby wings”.  My triceps are always the same size whether they are firm or flabby.  In heaven, I will get a better body. Here, I have to accept what I have and work with it to keep it healthy.

Yeah, I have an self- image problem.  I can remember in Art College, there was a guy whose talent was caricatures. He did one of me—BIG shoulders and BIG arms (lots of flab).  I wasn’t even heavy-125#!  I was devastated and resolved never to do a caricature that made anyone look close to that!  Many “blind dates” ran away when they saw me—talk about a kick in the stomach.  Unfortunately, the image is there in my mind, it is me—I can’t shake it.  I hate it but I can’t change it.  Like Paul the Apostle, this is my “thorn in the side”.

THANK GOD Alison doesn’t have any of those genes!

Back to working out.  I love to work out!  I escape and concentrate on how my muscles are stretching and flexing.  How my bones are keeping strong.  Weird, yes, but even though I would like to change a couple of areas, I am still reminded that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. 

When I started way back in the 70s, I did so because I wanted to lose weight (I was bulimic as well).  When I went to Nelsons Nautilus, I worked out my frustrations and stress caused by my personal and professional life.  Today, I work out as an investment in my health.  I always feel better after my workout.  I know a seventy year old woman, Brenda, who works out every other day—she has been my inspiration!  She also was my boss at the college for a short while (she came out of retirement to help out in my division).  She is totally committed to working out and she is buff!  Ok, I may not get to that! 

Brenda is healthy and strong—that is what my goal is.  I want to be able to play soccer and any other sport with my grandchildren when they are in their teens—so, get ready my precious grandchildren, Nana means business!!!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment