![]() |
| Heidelberg American HS |
We were at Augsburg, Germany when Dad got orders for Heidelberg. I was devastated! I loved my junior year at Augsburg American High and finally I was popular (in a good way). All my life, we moved here and there. I had to start school late and always was one of the least popular girls in every class. I was shy and that didn't help with making friends.
So in Augsburg, I met Monica Coapstick. She was a Junior too and befriended me right away. Through her, I became part of the "in-crowd" and it was a good group. No drugs, maybe a drink now and then but we kept out of trouble. We had alot of fun just being with each other. I was even looking forward to trying out for cheer leading in my Senior year--my self confidence had grown that much.
![]() |
| My "Art Gallery"-the stairway |
Dad didn't understand that I felt that guilt and my art was my escape. It was also a way a small piece of me actually made it to the dance. It was my way of coping and became my best memories of that school. I wished I had stayed at Augsburg, I missed everyone so much and most of all I missed being important enough to be with. I don't remember any friend that I had in Heidelberg, they were acquaintances. Most kids who were not in the "in crowd" were too busy trying to get into that crowd. I feebly tried to but got discouraged early.
I found out today that Augsburg High School closed in 1998. The base probably moved as well. I went online to see if I could find Monica and others from my junior year with no success. I haven't given up and will continue trying. When we moved from Augsburg, all of our photos were missing. I was delighted to see with a little time today, I found some photos back then! Those were wonderful memories that came flooding back when I found the 1968 Augsburg High School yearbook. It was a true blessing to look back to such a great year!
A page from the Augsburg yearbook. I am in the top photo front row--I was so skinny! Monica is on the lower photo first row--we are wearing the same outfit! Hers was green and mine was blue. We were just like sisters.
I don't have any pictures of the school in Augsburg. I'll have to do more hunting on the Internet for them. Only the Seniors got the single pictures, all others had group shots. Some of the "hunks" I hung around with:
and along with great friends like Monica and Betty... you wonder why I didn't want to move???
![]() |
| Arty and Don |
![]() |
| Jim Kerry & John Kerry--the twins |
![]() |
| Greg Murat (I had a huge crush on) and Kay Dimmick |
![]() |
| Klaus Dexter |







No comments:
Post a Comment