Monday, January 21, 2013

The Past Weeks

I haven't posted lately due to a few things going on.  First, my mom's health has gotten worse.  She is down to 109 pounds--she should be 125.  Since she had stomach pains and being 85, she underwent a stress test for her heart.  She did well thank God.  Both Alison and I thought she wouldn't make it through the test.

Going through this brought back many memories of when Gary did a stress test after a couple of weeks of chest pain.  He finally went when I got upset that our grand-daughter (Amanda--Melissa's daughter) would be coming up the next day with her mom and I DID NOT WANT her to witness his death from a heart attack!  Well, it was extreme but it was on my mind at that time and it worked. 

He went in for his stress test and flunked it.  They rushed him to St. Vincent's Hospital since Kaiser didn't have a heart clinic. It was a long drive to and from but we did it.  Gary did remarkably well after a quadruple bypass.  For the three days while he was in the hospital I had some hope that maybe we could patch our marriage up--his attitude changed and I worked on mine.  Unfortunately, he turned back into the old Gary when we got home.

Back to present day, I was worried about mom and was ready to make arrangements to fly down to Florida if need be, despite my brother.  Fortunately, I didn't have to this time.  There will be a time but I will continue to pray for her health to improve. 

Today, she got some xrays and an upper GI. Thursday, she sees her heart doctor.  Looks like my prayer life will be full as usual.

Then last week, Alison let me know that Gary had a heart attack and that he was in ICU.  She wanted to go and see him, so, Wayne and I babysat with the kids.  I admit, I was concerned about Gary.  We get along fine now.  I care for him, but it is different. After being married to him for 17 years, you don't just hate someone.  I can't describe the feeling.  Not love, maybe just compassion for another human being.  I don't wish him harm.

Gary had a couple of stints put in him and he is fine and recovering.

Saturday night, we had the kids spend the night.  We both enjoy having them.  The day before, we bought a new computer desk with a hutch for Wayne's room (aka Grace's room).  It was so good to get a new look in the room and get rid of the other desk that was on it's last leg--literally.  It is in the recycle bin, not even good for Goodwill.  Besides I needed to work off some stress! The kids loved the new look, I moved the futon and there was more room.  They loved the computer being set up for them with a small printer.  I made their favorite learning website as their home page.  It was Wayne's idea to set the computer up for them since he rarely is on it.

The next day, we I bought a new rug for the living room and took the rug under the dining room table and put it in his room too.  It looks so much better!  Alison is going to give me decorating tips for the room--it definitely needs different curtains.  She sent some ideas with Wayne in mind since it is his room.  I appreciated that.  Wayne has been depressed and I don't want to push him out of his room.  Getting the desk that looks "manly" helped keep his claim while sharing with the kids :)

All last week through all the stress, my network printer decided to randomly not work. That didn't help the stress level. I spent hours troubleshooting.  For example, the computer screen said "Turn on the printer"--duh??!!!  The darn thing is on....then it says "The printer is too far from the router"---duh??!!  The router is less than five inches away from the printer!  Nothing like making you feel like a dumb blond.

After days of it working and not working, troubleshooting, reinstalling this and that, I finally called Office Depot.  I have a two year contract on my printer and it is month 23! Whew!  I expected a fight about what I need to do to fix it but the gal said, "No problem, I'll send you a return label and return the printer and we will send you the cost of it."  The only problem was that it is store credit.  I need a printer in the interim.  So, we got a $340 refund check on our Costco purchases this year--getting new counters and a heat pump helped--we get a % of our yearly purchases back in form of a rebate check. So, we bought a printer from Costco with the check and had $64 cash back!  I used the extra $$ towards a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse for Wayne's computer.  Grace used the mouse Saturday and complained it didn't work right.  Just after she said that, the ball fell out.  Time for new.  I still had money left over to pay for my lunch with Jeannie today and pay for Wayne's dental copay today.  Cha-ching! NOT BAD!

My new printer worked wonderfully until I put Wayne's computer on the network.  I don't know why it didn't--I'll have to ask Larry when he gets back.  However, I will be getting $240 back from Office Depot in a couple of weeks.  I'll buy a new printer (his is ancient) from Office Depot for Wayne's room and extra ink.  Cha-ching! NOT BAD AT ALL!

I love shopping this way, and so does Wayne.  I will recycle the keyboard, mouse and old printer to Goodwill and get a donation receipt too!  YES!  I think even Dave Ramsey would be proud of me and my buying power!

No comments:

Post a Comment