Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Day Reflections and Commitments

Today is January 1, 2013!  Good grief, I can't believe it!  Well, we all survived the Mayan prediction of the end of the world which I never banked on anyways. 

Looking back at 2012, the highlight would be being able to share in both Grace's and Hunter's first day of school.  Hunter started Kindergarten and Grace began Preschool.  Seems just yesterday that they were little babies in my arms, sigh, they grow so fast. 

The low point was Wayne losing his job.  It was a big ego blow to him.  Though we both knew it was coming since he was coming home early numerous times and talked about the company losing contracts.  Still, he took it personal.  It was bad looking for a job because he is 61 years old.  Unfortunately, companies don't see the value in older workers.  We adapted to his "early retirement" but he is still looking for work.

The bright spot in his unemployment is that he started volunteering at Hunter's Kindergarten.  He loves working with the kids there and most of the time doesn't work with Hunter.  Hunter is above 1st grade level, so Wayne concentrates on the kids who are struggling.  It is a win-win situation.  He comes home feeling needed and loved by the kids.  We were blessed to have this opportunity.

Wayne has been able to help me babysit too.  I had a slow recovery after the fall.  Thank God he was there to help!  He enjoys being with the kids. OK, maybe he gets a little silly sometimes, but all grandparents do--it is healthy.  Even Nana has her moments :)  We try to keep it in check so that Hunter doesn't think he can be silly all the time.  And what Hunter does, Grace follows.

Resolutions I hate but I need to work on some areas of my life: my physical health, my spiritual health, decrease stress and gain some "Me" time.  With the new year, I have made the following commitments:

1.  Eat healthier--Use my Vitamix to get my veggies. I signed up for the "Eat the Rainbow" Challenge on Lose-it.  I have to eat from each color group each day:  red, yellow/orange, blue/purple, green, and white (no fries here!)
2. Get away from processed foods as much as I can but realize that I can't commit to 100%, but I will shoot for 50%. 
3. Cut down on sugar. Note: I don't say cut out sugar.  That I know is impossible for me and today will not be an exception.  Grace's Birthday party is today and I am planning on having cake-but not going overboard.  I need to plan on either none or one sweet treat a day.  None is best but I will not deny myself.
4. Read and study the book "Boundaries".  I have a big problem with boundaries--when to say no, when to say yes.  I have the book and have read it before--it is a great book.  Last month, I bought the workbook with it.  I started doing the workbook a couple days ago.  It really solidifies what the book states and it makes you look up scripture which supports the book.  Like I said I read this before but now with the workbook, it is really making sense and I am learning more than before.
5. Limit my time on the computer.  I am referring to wasting too much time on Face Book, checking my email, checking news.  Though, I see the value in being online such us my food log on Lose-It.com and this blog, I need to limit the other uses.  I have turned off the the computer at 8pm. Now, I need to turn it off at 7 and not check it on my phone either!  The phone is too easy to check too many times on my email and Face Book.  So, I need to get in the habit of checking it only three times a day.  Texting is different since it appears to be the only means of communication that most of my family and friends prefer.
6. Set at the maximum two achievable things to do per day.  I have a bad habit of making a long list of things to do for the day and get frustrated if I don't achieve them.  So, I am going to only have two on the list.  I can add on another piece of paper one or two that I would like to get done but don't need to.  After dinner, I will choose either from those one or two or create a new "to do".  This way I am not feeling overwhelmed.
7. Get 10 minutes a day of "Me Time" so that I won't feel this day ran by me and I didn't get a chance to relax.  I think that this blog is probably gonna be one of my "Me Times".  Reading a book, soaking in the tub, praying, walking, having a foot soak,etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment