Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ye Ole Leprechaun Trap


Last year, the kids built a "Leprechaun Trap".  It is basically a box with some little things to attract leprechauns on St. Patrick's day, like string, sparkles, gold medals, cute stickers, etc.  The kids loved to put it together and check to see if we caught one.  The day before St. Pats, they spent the night.  Of course, the wee leprechaun had a wee bit of help.  When the kids finally fell asleep, we did our magic and replaced the leprechaun treats with real treats and a couple of stuffed animals (green of course).  Hunter and Grace were soooo excited to see that they trapped their leprechaun.

According to Nana legend, if the leprechaun gets trapped in the trap, the only way he/she can get out is leave some goodies for those who made the trap.  Love this tradition!

So, Grace was quick to make a box for here (when they spend the night) and for her house.  She added a message, "Leprechaun, please leave a stuffed animal."  She wants a rainbow tiger.  Sigh, this will take some magic to find one.  However, the leprechaun's helpers found a rainbow chawhahwa, maybe that will work.

This year, I had to come up with a letter from my leprechaun that said he would come the Saturday before St. Pats.  Grace believed me and was hoping that her house could get a leprechaun named "Sparkles".  I don't know where she came up with "Sparkles" but I wasn't going to let opportunity walk by.

The next day, I wrote a letter to Hunter and Grace as "Sparkles" the leprechaun telling them that she would be there the night before St. Pats.  I put glitter all over and even on the name Sparkles.  It was on green paper and signed "Sparkles" and "catch me if you can".  I left the letter at their house.

The next day, the kids were at my house and the first thing Grace told me was that she got a letter from "Sparkles"!  She was so excited to have Sparkles as her leprechaun this year.  Hunter didn't say anything--he is good to play along.

Grace said that she loved Sparkles handwriting because she had glitter on it and it looks just like your handwriting, Nana!  Smart kid, this might be my last year as Sparkles. Sigh.....

2 comments:

  1. I can write the letter for you, she doesn't know my handwriting yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. next year--that would be great!

    ReplyDelete