Thursday, November 5, 2015

Is This My Mom?


I spent the night at the hospital last night, got no sleep but wanted to be near Mom in case. So today at 10am, I went back to the house to nap. I got a call that woke me up--it was Grace and Hunter! Wayne had them call on his phone before school. It was jsut what I needed!

Well, I went back to the hospital at 1pm. I managed to get Mom to agree to a nurse coming in once a week to check her health. She agreed then I went to the nurses station and asked the nurse to contact the Discharge Coordinator so we could set it up. I went back into the room and told my Mom what I did and she was furious at me and yelled and waved her finger at me that there is no way in Hell she would allow a nurse in her home, she is fine, she is not senile and needing it. I had to calm her down but she was insistent that she changed her mind. So, I went back to the nurses station and cancelled my request. 

Then, she told me that the Discharge Coordinator dropped off the Medical Power of Attorney papers. She came by yesterday and said that Jim was the one listed not me. I thought everything was ok with us changing this to match the will. She dropped off the papers for me to update and Mom sign while I was gone. Well, Mom flew off the handle and said that I have all the power in the will and she didn't need to fill this out. My mom was downright mean to this gal as well as me. Long story short, we finally got through to Mom that this was procedural and that it wasn't a will and that that is totally separate. Somehow she thought this gal was a lawyer set to take out Jim in the will.

The paperwork showed what was the result of what happened in 2008. Jim drove Mom in with a heart-attack and they set it up as he was the one to decide what happens to Mom if she is unable to communicate---OH GOD/ NO! and they got the street wrong on the form, it is Fieldcrest not Hillcrest--further proof that Jim was drunk at that time. The very next day he was arrested for DUI.

If that wasn't enough, Mom had her catheter out and when they were done, the student nurse was there and she told Mom that in 6 hours she would need to pee. i pointed out to Mom that she needs to take the IV bag with her, to which she angrily replied that she didn't need that, she can do it. I tried to tell her to contact the nurse for help --same result. The student nurse told her that the nurse can disconnect the IV and she can go to the bathroom by herself, again she was furious at me for suggesting she can't do this alone.

We calmed her down. But I was frustrated and Mom acted like nothing happened. I know she wants to go home because she feels fine but she can't until tomorrow. This is where I get my stubbornness from. So I left at 4pm to go back to the house and get some rest. I knew this wasn't going to be a walk in the park but I didn't realize how senile my Mom was. I think she thinks that I am rushing her into her grave and she is fighting all the way.   


Hopefully when she gets home and has a cigarette, she'll get back to her normal self.

No comments:

Post a Comment