I'm not good at waiting. It is definitely a challenge for me. Today I got up, put a roast in the crockpot for dinner and went for a short walk. I knew it was going to be real short when my glasses fogged up. The heat and the humidity was unbearable but I made it for a half a mile.
When I came back we had to wait for my sister to return from having her car serviced. She was taking us to the hospital for mom's pre-op. Waiting for her was edgy since she was late getting back. Ok, so we got to the hospital to wait in a very crowded waiting room for over 2 hours! We were to see the insurance gal then had to wait for them to take Mom's blood work and urine sample. Then wait to talk to the nurse about Mom's medical history and what to expect in surgery.
Mom got on the scale just before her blood was drawn--it was in kilograms so, I got my trusty cell phone out and converted it to pounds--I gasped, she weighs only 95# fully clothed! Mom needed help understanding how to get the urine sample. You know your Mom is getting old when you have to go into the bathroom with her to make sure she does it right.
The nurse was amazing and really thorough in explaining things. We found out that Mom 's xray was normal, something that was worrying me. She does have a compressed spot in her spine which explains her back pain.
I was really distraught with Mom's medical history and weight that I attacked the candy bag when I got back home. Not good when I don't want to gain weight. I hope I can keep it together. Tomorrow, I get up and make a hearty breakfast for Mom before she starts her liquid diet. I am so afraid that she will dehydrate and faint. So I will be Mom's shadow tomorrow.
I guess the highlight of today was just before we left, I was asking questions of Mom from the book "Conversations with My Mother". I'm filling it out so we have something about her to keep in the family. The question was our favorite vacation. Jim and Joanne chimed in and said we never had any, we moved alot. However with a little discussion we all remembered a few vacations. We joked about them and laughed--it was good to reminisce with Mom and my siblings. To laugh and forget the challenge ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment