Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Prep Day

Today is the day Mom has been dreading--prep day for surgery.  After 9am, she has liquids only.  At 1, she takes 3 laxatives, at 3 she has to drink a Miralax solution with Gatorade-64 oz.  And at 7 more Miralax.  She is only 95# and I remember how light headed I was when I went through it for surgery.

I worried about how frail she is.  This morning, I will be her shadow making sure that she drinks clear liquids and her laxatives on time.  I woke up at 6am and made her bacon, eggs and hashbrowns. At 8am she had cereal, so I hope that will keep her stamina through this.

Well...64 oz of Gatorade and Miralax and 5 pills of Ducolax and Mom is in the bathroom...it is going to be a long night.

It's a good thing that I am here to monitor Mom.  Joanne took off this morning and just got back at 6pm.  My brother slept until 1pm and went and got beer and proceeded to get drunk.  I have had to give Mom her Gatorade/Miralax solution every 20 minutes since 1pm and her Ducalax every 4 hours.  And I am the one watching her like a hawk as she struggles with diarrhea.  I don't want her to faint and hurt herself.

It is odd that the air conditioner has decided to stay at 72 degrees all day.  My brother didn't have any breathing problems at all but waited until I left with my sister tonight to get some sandwiches to turn it down to 66 degrees.  I pointed this out to Mom.  While I was away (this was before the laxatives had any effect) he got upset with Mom about the temperature and claimed he couldn't breathe.  My Mom got onto him too.  She told him to leave it she has to take a shower later and will freeze. He turned it down to 66 degrees.   When Mom told me about it, I turned it up to 68 but it has stayed at 71 degrees in actuality. Thanks LORD!

I think that Mom will hate me soon...I make her drink water after the diarrhea hits so she stays hydrated.  Gonna be a long night.  She has to shower with the special soap tonight and in the morning and at 8am we go to the hospital.  Sleep?  Probably not!


No comments:

Post a Comment