When I taught art to the Kindergarten class, I noticed that I forgot to put the "Picasso" sign up with Grace's first grade class' paintings. So, when I finished I took the sign and the stapler that was in the bin with it and went to the wall of paintings out in the hall. Much to my surprise--the stapler was empty.
No problem, I went into Mrs. Marcoe's classroom where I knew that there were staplers full of staples. I figured I'd sneak in and no one would notice me--Wrong! Morgan, one of Grace's best friends, spotted me and shouted, "Dena!" And before I knew, I was surrounded by several huggy bears in a big group hug that was three deep! They remembered me from me teaching them Picasso!
Several of them shouted, "Hi, Nana!" and my heart warmed so much! Then I saw Grace standing there and she said matter of factly, "Well, Hello there!" with a big smile and powered through the crowd to give me a hug. She asked why I was there and I told her that I was trying to borrow Mrs. Marcoe's stapler as quietly as I could. I respect my granddaughter's space but was very surprised when she stepped forward closer and gave me another warm hug. A double hug means she is really happy that I am there. I used to get double hugs when I volunteered in her Kindergarten class. Now that she is in first grade, they are rare.
Hugs are wonderful, double hugs are like winning the lottery!
No comments:
Post a Comment