Saturday, December 19, 2015

Visit to OHSU

Last night, we called Phyllis, Wayne's former sister in law whom we are friends with.  We found out that Les, her father had to be taken to OHSU due to kidney failure.  He was doing better and would be transferred out on Monday back to a rehabilitation center.  Today we went and visited him.  It was a good visit and Les was in good spirits.

The last time I was at this hospital it was when my associate pastor, Lee Wiegand.  His daughter, Katrina was transported by Life Flight there after being struck by a vehicle on Mt. Hood.  She was only twelve.  As soon as I found out, Alison and I drove up to OHSU.  I remember sitting with Debbie (one of my two best friends then) by Katrina's bedside.  Katrina was in a drug induced coma.  Debbie, a nurse, was barely holding it together.  It was a long night.

Katrina is twenty something now and doing well.  Debbie went to Heaven last year.  Lee has remarried.  Life goes on.

Today we sit with Les and I can't help but think of Debbie.  I quietly sat by her holding her as she held on.  Now, Les is nearing Heaven's door.  When I am super nervous, I talk and especially since Wayne doesn't talk much. After five minutes, Les starts talking which is good.  I don't like making small talk.  He looks good now but has given up on life.  He misses his wife, Pat who died a couple of weeks ago.  Two pictures showing both of them in happier times are on his table next to his hospital bed.  He admits he almost died and fortunately, Phyllis who is a professional caregiver called attention to the fact that his urine bag was empty.

I pray that Les makes it through Christmas so that the family can share this time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment