Thursday, December 10, 2015

Wayne's Former Mom-In-Law


This is Pat Macomb, Wayne's former Mom-In-Law who passed away last week.  She was a warm friendly lady who I had the pleasure to get to know.  We occasionally would drive up to St. Helen's where her husband, Les, and she used to live.  She always made me feel welcomed.

Both Les and Pat have known Wayne since he was a teenager.  Wayne married Debi (Les' daughter and Pat's stepdaughter).  I am touched that they consider Wayne as their own son.  Debi burned the bridges with Pat and Les just after we married.  Sad.  Debi had said horrid things to all her family and the result was Debi disowned he entire family.  When Debi had the stroke, the family did come to her side only to be insulted again to the point of Pat and Les saying that if they died, they didn't want her at the funeral.

Last year, Pat had bowel cancer and survived until this year when it took her life.  The week before when we found out that she might not survive, I flew Leslea here from Utah.  Leslea said it was the best Christmas gift--a little bittersweet but Leslea was able to see her grandma before she passed.  Les has given up on life and at least Leslea got to visit with him as well.

The funeral is this Saturday.  Les called Debi and invited her to it.  In my opinion, Debi has every right to be there, Pat was her step-mom.  However, the rest of the family doesn't want her.  I know that if I show up with Wayne, it will just add fuel to Debi's fire--she is there just for the drama.  So, I will not be there.  Wayne will but will leave if Debi shows up--he doesn't want the drama either.

So sad that a family is this way but I do understand...don't like it but understand.  My former husband, Gary's ex-wife (Bobby) and I got along as best of friends when I was married to Gary.  We never talked about Gary. He adopted her two kids and my daughter, so we recognized that we need to be friends for their sakes.  After the divorce, we remained friends.

Last year, Bobby lost her daughter, Melissa to lung cancer.  The year before she lost her youngest daughter from another marriage to leukemia.  I received a beautiful Christmas card from her this year.  When Melissa was dying, I paid for Bobby to go and visit Melissa before she died.  It is what Jesus would do and I would do it again without a thought.

This last month, my neighbor, Clair, passed away leaving his wife, Patsy.  My heart goes out to her too.  I thought about baking cookies for her for Christmas.  Instead I sewed coats for her two small dogs.  She loved it.

This Christmas brings sadness but also celebration.  I have been reading a book on Heaven and stories from those with near death experiences.  The book references scriptures along with the experiences.  It is a comfort to know all those who were lost this year awoke in Heaven in the Light of Jesus. 

I thank the LORD for His Grace and Promise.  I thank Him for letting my Mom survive cancer and giving me more time with her.  I pray for His Peace for those left behind when their loved ones passed on to Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment