It is 4:45 in the morning on Black Friday--yes, I said in the morning. I am standing in a line in front of Fred Meyers. Normally, I would be fast asleep but I am on a mission. Alison asked if I could pick up a Nintendo game for the kids. Normally $19.99 but today it is $9.99. Okay, yes, this is crazy but my grandchildren are worth it. The name of it is "Scribblenauts". I bought one similar to it a couple of years ago for Hunter (not at this ungodly hour back then). It helped Hunter write better and I am sure that this updated version will help Grace--who is writing now. Grace loves to write lists!
Back to me standing in the line. I watch as more and more people come. The line is getting fatter not longer (note to self: have a friend go early and save a place in line). But it is okay, I am warm and like to people watch. There are a handful of female students in front of me who talk about the week of finals. One loud guy who is out for a big screen TV, some middle age women sipping their Starbucks and fidgeting to keep warm. The husbands are standing next to their wives with the "I can't believe I am doing this" look on their faces. One guy says his wife and him haven't slept--they have been going since 9pm yesterday shopping. Now THAT is insane!
I tell the gal behind me that my hubby asked me to bring home some donut holes for him. They give out donut holes and coffee for the early birds. I told her that I told him, "You don't get the goods unless you do the time in the line!" Enough said.
The doors open and it is a rush in. I head to the electronics department and so do half of the people who were outside with me--I thought that they wanted the socks!! Oh well, I squeeze by the crowds in the small space of a department back to the Nintendo DS games. Luck has it, I get the next to the last one! Holding tightly onto my precious cargo, I make my way to a line. There are several long ones, I find a short one. It is too early for me to remember that the short line isn't always the fastest line--twenty minutes later I pay for my treasure.
Things have calmed down a little in the rest of the store. I meander to the socks--I get three pairs of Gold Toe socks. The reason I get those is that Wayne gets upset when I borrow his. I find three pretty pairs so that I don't mistakenly wear his. Next, my bath salts are on sale, buy one get one free. I grab a couple and head to the checkout. To my amazement, there is no one in the line!
Outside the parking lot, I throw my stuff in the back, breathe and drive off home. I lived through another Black Friday! My bed is calling me back.
No comments:
Post a Comment