Sunday, November 11, 2012

My "Littlest Fan"


After the Pizza Party, I had the idea to give Alison a break from the kids.  So, we stopped by their house and let Alison go shopping for some "me" time for her.  Grace was having quiet time watching TV while Hunter was on the computer.  I happened to bring the drawing that I was working on for the Christmas card this year of them and the cats.

Wayne had sat down on the couch near Grace and wanted to know if he could use her stuffed monkey (one of those you warm up in the microwave to snuggle up with to sleep) on his knee since he was hobbling and hurting.  Grace volunteered to ask Hunter to see if he could let Gramps use it since he wasn't using it and she was using her monkey.

She proceeded to get it and after I microwaved it, she placed it gently on Gramps' knee.  Shortly after that, Wayne was fast asleep. Since Grace was bored and noticed I was drawing, she made her way to the table to see what I was doing.

She asked if she could have quiet time at the table and watch me too. I said ok.  She proceeded to tell me that the picture had Hunter and her in it.  She recognized Olivia and Sam our cats but she wanted to know what was on Colby's head.  Colby passed away last summer and so I told her that that was a halo that he got when he went to heaven.

Grace perked up and said that Jesus lets Colby come and protect Hunter and her and fight the bad guys away.  That Jesus takes care of Colby.  Sigh, love that little girl!  Then she got that "bright idea" look on her face--"Maybe Jesus could take Sam to heaven cos he fights too!"  "One of these days, Jesus will do that but for now, Sam has to wait,"I said with a grin.

Then she sat there for a whole ten minutes quiet watching me crosshatch shadows on the drawing with my technical drawing pens.  She offered me her color crayons since I forgot a couple of areas that needed color.  "Thanks," I replied "but, Nana has "special crayons" that I use."  "Oh," she said with a puzzled look.  I told her that I would share them with her some other time and that brought a smile.

She sat quietly and watched like she was memorizing every stroke just like her mama did when she was little.  Alison is a great artist and one of this days, I hope she picks it up again.

But for now, I think we have a little artist and this Nana is gonna encourage her as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment