Friday, November 16, 2012

Hunter's Thanksgiving Feast

Today I was asked to go to Hunter's class Thanksgiving Feast.  I volunteered to do the whole day.  I figured chances like this don't come by very often and I was definitely going to give it my all!  Mrs. Rogers (Mrs R from now on)  greeted me and told me that Brian's (can't remember his name but it started it a "B") 9th generation grandma had the first recorded birth after the Mayflower landed--a little girl named "Oceania".  His grand-dad was there with me and two other moms.  I told her that Hunter's 10th generation grand-dad, John Vassail, owned and built the Mayflower--she was so excited about the fact that two of her Kindergarteners had relatives involved with the Mayflower!

I found this out when I did the genealogy for my dad's side.  John Vassall, a Hugenot fled to England a few years before the massacre by Catholics on St. Bartholomew's Day in August 1572.  I really need to get back to my genealogy and complete my mom's side.

So, Mrs. R announced this all (minus the massacre story) to the kids.



Before the story, we helped the kids make pilgrim hats and bonnets.  Each Kindergartener has one "Buddy", a third grader who is their buddy through the year.  They come into the classroom now and then and also join them on the playground befriending them as a buddy.  I think it is a great idea!


The "Buddies" (with the Indian bands) brought  a game with them to share with the "Pilgrims and the Bonnet girls".  It was a game with stones painted with a star or a moon.  The child shook the stones and threw them down and counted only the stars.  They put one mark per star on their piece of paper and took turns around the circle until one had a total of ten stars--they were the winner.  I was with Hunter briefly and left to another group to give him his "space".  All the groups had a lot of fun.  Hunter didn't win but was cool with that.

Next they made pasta noodle necklaces after Mrs. R explained that the Indians would trade with the Pilgrims necklaces, furs and food.

Each table had bowls of colored pasta with which they would thread onto the ribbon and then the adults helped with tying together with a tag with their names. 

Hunter loved the fact you can do more with pasta than just eat it!




 

 
Speaking of eating....the feast was next!  They drank apple juice (which I brought :), ate popcorn and cranraisins.  The kids kept the adults hopping!
 
 
This year we don't have a traditional family dinner. Larry is home but a short time.  Alison and him have their own traditional family dinner.  It is time for us to let go, it is time for Alison (and Leslea) to begin her family traditions and time for us to start a new one.  We decided to go to Gustavs for dinner Wednesday night. Wayne and I will cook a turkey the next day--gotta have the leftovers!  I am looking forward to dinner out and just vegging Thanksgiving.
 
I am so blessed to share in todays special Thanksgiving Feast with a bunch of special Kindergarteners and one Super Special Grandson!  Hunter, Nana loves you more than the number of stars in the sky and the number of sand grains in the ocean!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment