Monday, November 19, 2012

Sean & Sarah

Yesterday was our Special Olympics Bowling Regional!  My bowlers have trained hard and long for this day.  We were there from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.--a long day but worth it!  My bowlers did awesome!  I don't look at the number of medals or ribbons, I look at sportsmanship and there was a lot of that happening.  I stress to my athletes, sportsmanship over winning.  If you win with a "greater than thou" attitude, you have lost in my eyes.

Two stories from yesterday made an impact in my day:  Sean and Sarah.


First, Sean, who is about 35 years old though he is only 8 years old mentally and has Down Syndrome.  He is always one to come up and give me a hug and to be positive.  After going down to the lane where he would be bowling came up to me and was worried. "Dana, I have to bowl with those guys?" I replied "Yes."  "But they are bigger than me."  "Sean" I said in my soft voice, "You are bowling with these guys because you bowl the same as them."  "But....they are bigger than me."  "Sean, you can do this, focus on your game, you can beat these guys, don't look at them.  I believe I you, you can do this."  He looked me in the eyes, "You believe I can?"  "Yes!" I replied, "I know you can!"  He fidgeted a little and murmured, "OK, I will try to win."

With that, I left him to bowl.  I had 35 more bowlers to get going in his squad (we had 3 squads that day).  As the games progressed, I walk up and down checking on each bowler to see how they were doing.  I didn't look at scores, I looked at the bowler.  Sean looked good and so, I moved onto the next bowler. Awards were being handed out and I have learned to stay put at my table and wait for my athletes to come to me.

And then it happened!  Sean came running to me holding his gold medal out front, yelling, "Dana! Dana!! I did it!!"  I ran to him and hugged him and he was beaming.  "I knew that you could do it!!"

Second, Sarah.  Sarah is in her twenties with Down Syndrome. She works at Goodwill in Sandy.  A sweetheart--always a smile on her face and a warm greeting.

After my hugs from Sean, I was in front of the lanes where Sarah bowled.  They were waiting for their awards.  There are the medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze). All bowlers hope to get them. The ribbons are for 4th through 8th. I have always told my bowlers that I am just as proud of them if they get a ribbon as if they get a medal. 

I knew that Sarah had tough competition since I had walked by a number of times and had seen what was happening on her lanes. Still that infectious smile was there and I knew all was good.

The awards were handed out.  Sarah received a fourth place ribbon.  Instantly the smile was gone and a frown on her face.  Her parents hugged her and said that she did well but it didn't seem to matter.  Her fellow bowlers did the same and the same result happened.  I was standing watching all this and then I moved in on the little crowd.  I swooped up Sarah with a big hug!  I held on to her and looked her in the eyes and said, "Sarah!  I am SOOO proud of you!!" and I said it with all honesty.  The smile reappeared and she asked, "Really?"  "Yes!" I said, "You had tough competition but you hung in there!  You should be proud of that 4th place!! I am!"  The parents shot me a warm smile that said thank you.  My Sarah had her smile back and I couldn't be happier.

In these two stories, the LORD taught me two lessons. 

First, with Sean, sometimes my fears conquer me before I let Him be victorious.  He believes I can do it and I must stretch my faith and believe that I can do it but only with His support.

Second, with Sarah, sometimes when the world sees I have failed, the LORD sees the bigger picture and sees the bigger victory.  Sometimes, the gold won't please Him but getting a ribbon without quitting, meeting the challenge, and claiming the victory that is His is what delights the LORD.

I am always amazed at the lessons I learned through these athletes.  They are truly His angels on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment