Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Civil War History Lesson Enroute to the Playground

Yesterday we walked with the grandkids and Misha to the playground.  On the way, Hunter was telling me all about the Civil War.  When I asked him if he learned about it from school, his reply was no, he read it in a book.  Hunter said that "his team" the North won against the South.  It happened in 1864 and a lot of people died.  I told him a little about the reason (slavery) and tried to explain what slavery was.  Interesting conversation.  I asked him if he knew who the President was in the Civil War to which he exclaimed, "Abraham Lincoln!"  Smart kid, so I asked him if he knew who the generals were that led the North and South.  No, he didn't and so we discussed that for a while.
It is amazing how smart this kid is!  Guess I better brush up on my history.

We got to the playground and to Hunter's surprise, his friend "Riley" was there!  He was so elated about it.  Grace, Hunter, Riley and another kid from the other Kindergarten played happily for an hour.  Riley" grandma was there and we had a great time talking to her.  Then she pointed at Riley and Hunter holding hands, to which I said to not to worry, Riley is one of three girls from Kindergarten whom Hunter said he might marry.  He is a charmer!

Not a bad day...I walked, made a friend, and learned about the Civil War from my almost six year old grandson.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment