Monday, February 18, 2013

Getting Away From Processed Foods


That is my latest goal.  Or at least cut down on how much we eat.  I got two books on making mixes, dressings, etc. on my own.  They have some great recipes and I love not having corn syrup and other additives in my food.  So, once I use up the processed food, I replace it with a mix of my own. 


I made fruit snacks for the kids last week--they loved them!  Gonna make some more with with less gelatin to make it more like the processed kind.  It is just 100% fruit juice and plain gelatin!  I have some candy molds and the kids will help me make some more tomorrow!

Here are the mixes I did today:


Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Mix...good bye Quaker Instant Oats packages!  Cornbread Mix--no more little Jiffy boxes!  Pancake and Waffle Mix--sorry, Bisquick!  Healthier and cheaper too!  Next is my dressings, bye bye Newman's Own, gonna be "Nana's Own Raspberry Vinaigrette" :)

The ingredients for the Jiffy Cornbread is as follows: Wheat flour, degerminated yellow corn meal, sugar, animal shortening (contains one or more of the following: Lard, partially hydrogenated lard, contains less than the following:  baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, salt, mono calcium phosphate, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mono nitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.

Mine:  cornmeal, sugar (but I use half) whole wheat flour, baking powder ( I use half of what it calls for) and a little baking soda.  NO LARD!!

I didn't add any more salt because there is plenty from the baking powder but I have control over how much to add and I like that!

Feels good to do this for us and for the grandchildren too! Small steps for good health!




No comments:

Post a Comment