Lately I have been doing the Circle Maker 40 Days of prayer. Basically it is forty days praying a circle around individuals, your family or others. I chose to pray a circle around someone and their family. At the time, I didn't think about adding to that but the LORD gently nudged me to pray a circle around my brother too.![]() |
| Me and Jim |
Jim and I were close growing up. I was his big sister and he, my baby brother. There were alot of good times until we became adults and then we drifted apart. We both had families of our own, went through divorces, and other life experiences thousands of miles apart.
I haven't got enough room to go into everything but let's say that Jim took a different path than me. He used to date a Christain whom I can't remember her name. Their breakup was a nasty one and one that may have shaped his anti-Christain stand now. He found that the world owed him everything and it was all about him. He turned to alcohol and became an alcoholic. Years ago, I remember calling him crying for him to get help. He didn't.
I do still love my brother, I do not love what he has become and how he treats others. Every year I send him a card on his birthday, February 22. This year is no different. When I called mom (I call her every week), I heard his voice in the background thanking me for the card but where is the $57? He just turned 57. On his 50th birthday, I sent him $50, now he expects it every time.
Jim and I don't talk unless I happen to call for mom and he picks up the phone. He is usually drunk and our conversation isn't long. I have been called all sorts of names to my face and behind my back by my brother. Yes, it hurts, enough said on that.
On February 21, the phone rang--it was my mom's phone number. I feared something happened. She doesn't call except on my birthday maybe. I was definitely surprised to hear my brother on the other end. Drunk of course but hey, I'll take it.
He was thanking me for the card. It was a humorous card. My sister said he was grateful it wasn't religious. He talked about he won't live to see another birthday because of his health though later he said he wants to stop the medications he is on since he is feeling better. I told him he says this every birthday, according to mom and my sister.
He rambled on about nothing really. At the end, I told him that I loved him. He shrugged it off with a grunt and said good bye. I didn't expect a miracle but I felt better saying it since I can't remember the last time I told him that--I think it was in high school, maybe.
The next day, his birthday, I called him to wish him Happy Birthday. I thought that I would probably get mom on the phone since he is usually passed out when I do call on this day. Surprise! He answered. We talked about his health again but Jim had me cracking up laughing. He does have a gift in that--there is a good comical book in him somewhere.
Then he got serious. He told me that today is the last drink. Of course he told me he bought three six packs to make it alot. Still, I was amazed that he was going to do it. He said he had some pills that will make him not want to drink. They worked years ago and he is going to try them again.
I know that his son threatened to leave and go home to his mother. I didn't let him know that. I told him that I hope that he can do it. At the end of our conversation, again, I said "I love you." and I did mean it. He knocked me off my feet because he replied, "I love you too, Dena". I was speechless.
So I rejoice in the fruits of praying a circle around my brother! Now I am determined more than ever to continue both circles of prayer. I am excited to see the LORD work his wonders!

No comments:
Post a Comment