Monday, February 11, 2013

Hunter

I've been meaning to post about Hunter.  I love my punkin and love watching him grow into a young boy!  He has a tender heart that makes us smile and gives me hope for his future. 

It appears that Hunter has been worried about Wayne and me not having enough money. We haven't related our financial situation to the kids except when they want us to buy something; we respond that we don't have enough money for it.

The other day I was taking Wayne and him to school when he asked how much money we have.  I told him enough.  He asked again and said that when he wins the Stanley Cup, he will give us a lot of money--$200!  I had to laugh.  I told him that money isn't that important to us--being with family and friends and those who love you is better than being rich.  He frowned his "I have to think about this a bit more" look.

Wayne walked him into the school.  When Wayne came back he shared that Hunter told him that Gramps needs to go to college and learn geology like his Papa and then he will have a lot of money!  To which Wayne replied that he did go to school and learned engineering.  Hunter said that he should really learn geology and get more money.  Wayne told him that money isn't everything, we are rich in love from you and your sister and money can't buy that!

A couple of things:  We were both touched by our grandson's concern for us.  That is precious, I won't devalue this gift.  However, I need to show my darling grandson that happiness doesn't come from money.  It never has and never will.  In earlier years of my life, I had always thought if we had more money we would be happy.  One more thing, one more trip, one more this, one more that. 

With age, I have learned that I can be content with less.  In fact, I am happier. No stress.  I have to save but with the mindset to survive not to get the newest thing.  I have to figure out how to convey this to Hunter.  His parents are working hard on paying off their bills (and already have done an awesome job!), this is different than working for more material things.  That is why Larry is up in Canada. Once everything is paid off, they sell the house and move into a bigger house, I pray that the LORD bless them with a 8-5 job for Larry near family in Oregon and no more traveling. If not in Oregon just somewhere were they all can be together.  I just want them to be happy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment