I have been going through old pictures--I love old pictures! The sepia tones and black and white ones are the best. One of them has my Granny McGrevy hanging on to me, Nana is holding my brother and my Aunt Hilda and mom are standing behind us.
I loved both Nana and Granny "Grevy". I remember Nana and me going to visit her at her home in Barrow-in-Furness England. We would board the bus and ride all the way to Granny's house. I remember roses that were in her yard and how her eyes lit up when she saw us. I was only three at that time.
![]() |
| Me at three. |
Granny adored me and I adored her. I never understood why Grand-dad wouldn't go with us to Granny's house and she would never come to Nana's house. I didn't find out the reason until I was a teenager. Granny was Catholic Irish and Grand-dad was Protestant British. They never got along but it didn't stop us from visiting Granny. To that I am grateful! Their religious differences were apparent at their death, too. They were both buried in the same cementary. Granny in the Catholic side, Grand-dad in the Protestant side. So sad, they were both beautiful warm people. They could have had so many wonderful memories if not for their man made barrier of religion.
When I was a teenager, we were stationed in Germany. Granny hadn't seen me since I was young. However, I was a teenager and it was all about me and boys. I didn't have time for family.
We went to visit our British family for about a week. I saw Granny once only once....I have always regretted that. I should have spent more time with her since she passed away shortly after that. I carried guilt for many years. My foolishness cost me precious time with her. Sigh, my only hope lies in Heaven, when we will have all eternity to visit!


No comments:
Post a Comment