Today was the first day back to school since the horrid massacre of last week in Connecticut.
Wayne and I took Hunter to school along with Grace in tow for preschool. Wayne and I both hugged both kids a little more today than in the past. I noticed alot of the parents and grandparents did the same. The same thing happened at preschool with Grace.
When I went to pick up Hunter, I couldn't help but notice the somber feeling around the school. There were a handful of parents and grandparents coming to wait on their little ones to get out of school. Each one of us checked each other out just in case we were not supposed to be there. We are all in a high alert mode, all with our cellphones out--all ready.
When Hunter was allowed to leave his line and run to me, I hugged him and kissed him on the head and we walked to the car. Before I left, I received an email notifying me and all parents that they did a lock down today. I was glad that Wayne didn't volunteer today--I think it would have been hard on him, he is very protective of the Kindergarteners that he helps weekly.
When I started putting Hunter in the car seat, Hunter shared that somewhere far away, twenty kids his age were killed by a man who had something wrong in his brain. I wasn't ready for that and choked back the tears. The teachers had talked to them about what happened. Hunter looked in my eyes and said, "Don't worry, Nana, he is dead--he was shot in the face and died."
As much as we want to shelter our little ones, they do find out. All I can do is cover both Hunter and Grace with my prayers and trust in the LORD for their safety. There are 20 angels in heaven this Christmas and 20 grieving families--LORD comfort them.
No comments:
Post a Comment