Saturday, December 22, 2012

Visiting Relatives

Today was the day that we visit Wayne's in-laws.  They have know him since he was a teenager and they adore him.  When the divorce happened, his ex-wife, Debi, divorced her own family too.  She demanded that they have no more to do with Wayne but the family members refused her request.

So, we got in the car and went to visit his previous father-in-law and mother-in-law in St. Helens.  It is a long drive but worth it.  Les, his father-in-law, was there alone. Seems his wife, Pat, went out on a pre-planned lunch with a friend.  No problem, we were there an hour and half and Les talked most of it.  I always feel a little odd not knowing what to say but Les was glad to hog the conversation and I was happy to let him.

After that we went to lunch and decided to stop by and see Aunt Fish (one of the exwife's sisters).  Her real name is Phyllis but the nieces and nephews have always called her Aunt Fish.  I do enjoy her husband, Kit and her company.  I loved them the instant that I met them.  As awkward as it might have been, they have always made me welcome.

Phyllis was at work at Moonstruck Chocolate and Kit was alone folding laundry.  We were hoping to catch Phyllis but it wasn't in the cards so, we enjoyed our time with Kit.

After awhile, Forrest and Marvin, a friend came to the door.  Forrest is married to Linda, Phyllis's and Debi's sister.  I love Forrest's sense of humor.  He reminds me of that character "Vern" that was on a commericial years ago.  Linda has always been nice to me too.  However, I always guard my words whenever I am around all of them. I hope that one of these days, my fears of saying something wrong will go away, but for now, it is the way things are.

Forrest gave me a big hug and said "No matter what any on that other side says, I love ya, Dena!"  I had to laugh, the other is Debi.  I appreciated the effort to take away the uncomfortableness that I still have.

He introduced Marvin to us. Marvin looks like a Santa motorcycle guy.  Kit was saying that this is Scott and Leslea's dad and wife when Forrest broke in and said "Yeah, that other one divorced all of us!"  Gotta hand it to Forrest, honest as the day is long-but I love that.

So, I sat there watching these four men "shoot the bull".  I held back the laughter, they were quite entertaining.  So different from a group of women talking! 

I was so glad that we made the rounds today with the family.  I enjoyed the gift of conversation!  Listening to Les talking happy for someone to listen to him.  Listening to these four guys just shooting the bull and laughing.  Sometimes there is joy is just sitting there and listening.



No comments:

Post a Comment