Sunday, December 9, 2012

Special Gifts at Our Special Olympics Party

Last night was our annual Special Olympics party.  It used to be called our Christmas Party but political correctness prevailed. Try as they may, to the athletes, it is and will always be our CHRISTMAS Party.  I hesitated about going since I had a head cold and didn't feel that great but I am so glad that I went.

I was pretty busy last night.  My responsibility was to be at the table greeting the athletes and giving out a gift of a photo album to those who helped in our fundraiser.  I had all the albums with the athletes' names on each to hand out.  The best part of the "job" was greeting!  I got so many hugs--love these kind of Christmas presents!  The best from Dale, who I haven't seen in years!  He works on Saturdays which prevents him from participating in any sport.  I love these Christmas presents--the best kind--those that money can't buy!

There was a coach there whom I hate to admit, I have been jealous of and resented.  The LORD is good, He placed both of us together at the table and the rest of the evening.  She and I became good friends as the evening progressed, the jealousy and resentment was gone.  Another gift!

Janice, one of my bowlers, handed me a small gift wrapped in old wrapping tissue.  Every year, she gives me a gift.  It is definitely something from either the Dollar Tree or thrift store but it is priceless to me!  This year is was a small set of chimes.  I am hanging it in my art room, where I deliberately surround myself with items that remind me of those I love.

Christmas this year has been hard since I can't give as much as I would like since our finances are limited.  I have made items and limited how much I spend on the kids.  Wayne and I have decided we don't need to exchange gifts with each other--if we need anything, we usually buy it anyways.

Christmas is different but that is okay.  Taking away the urge to buy, buy, buy has been a good lesson on focusing on what Christmas is really about.  We get so wrapped up in keeping up with the Jones' by making sure everyone gets what they want and really miss what they need most.  Those items are not bought but given freely--time, love, compassion, understanding, forgiveness and the list goes on. Focusing on the materialism misses the real focus of Christmas.  Although Charlie Brown was banned in one school district, Linus has it right--It is about the Savior!  Pure and simple!


No comments:

Post a Comment