Remember the old fashioned telephone? The device that hung on the wall or at the edge of the kitchen counter? It didn't do texting, take pictures, or surf the net. It had one purpose only--the connect people in voice communication. Today we text alot, talk little. So sad. I still call my mom once a week to hear her voice. Texting doesn't allow me to hear her laugh or the concern in her voice about something. It doesn't let me hear her voice go from being depressed to her spirit lifted at the thought of hearing someone who takes the time to call.
Sure, some phones have "Face Time" were you can see who you are talking to. That however is costly and personally I can't afford it and if the person on the other end doesn't have that feature on their phone, it is useless. Skype is the same way but you need a computer and software with both parties connected.
Ahh, the beauty of a land line phone--no software needed, no computer either! I remember times talking for hours with my girlfriends and Dad raising Cain because of it! Every month, I would splurge and call Nana in England. I had to remember that she was eight hours ahead (something she forgot when she would call me at four in the morning saying it was lunchtime there!). I loved hearing her British accent and her laugh was contagious. It was like she was right there in my living room and I in hers. Sigh, I miss talking to her but plan on bending her ear when I get to heaven!
Sadly, this generation sees talking on the phone a pain, a burden and texting quicker. Yes, we are a fast pace society and it is no wonder we have lost that personal connection with each other. Yes, I text but only because if I didn't, I would never hear from some of my friends and family. So I
go with the flow and am grateful for any connection.
Given the choice, meeting in person beats it all! FaceBook is ok and nice to keep in touch long distance with family pictures and such but nothing beats slowing down and spending time with those you love. That is the best present of all at any time of the year!
No comments:
Post a Comment